Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Miles to go


I have run smack-dab into a weight loss wall and don't quite know how to get around it. Yes, Ladies (and Gentleman), I have hit that dreaded plateau.

I weighed in at 157 again. Sure, back when I weighed in at 162 two weeks in a row, I had a false alarm. But the past four weeks have seen me at 156, 159, 157, and 157.

Talking with Lindsy about the plateau this morning, she asked a simple question.

"So, what are you going to do - exercise more or eat less?"

And it really is that simple. I love it.

Goal Weight Day is in 6 weeks and I need to lose 12 pounds (still!) to make Goal Weight. Of course, that means 2 pounds a week, but I've decided not to make any specific changes until after the 3-Day.

By default, I suppose that means I'm going to "exercise more" since my 3-Day training has me walking 18 miles this Saturday and 15 miles this Sunday. Plus it has me walking 60 miles over three days in a little more than two weeks. Right now, I feel the need to focus all of my energy on getting ready for the 3-Day. I'll eat healthy and follow my training regimen and reassess once the walk is over.

On a positive note, my monthly measurements provided some joy this morning. My waist is in the 20s and my hips in the 30s!!! My thighs and arms didn't change in numbers, but the definition is noticeably more pronounced in both areas. Also, my calves are (annoyingly) slowly getting smaller.

Sure, my weight itself may be frustrating me right now, but I have never felt so healthy! That's where the real success lies.

This past Sunday Kevin agreed to sub on a mens softball team and I went to cheer him on. I was approached by a stranger from a different league who needed another girl so they could play. A couple of years ago I would have declined, but instead I jumped up and joined the Pile of Hits.



During the next two hours, I squatted as catcher (and still feel the pain!), hit the ball two out of three at-bats (got walked on the 4th) and narrowly missed getting on base by milliseconds. Last year, I missed getting on base by full seconds - my hits are going farther and I'm running faster, now. Also, I have a new idea about my abilities and I love it!

It would be easy to stop now. To congratulate myself on losing 40 pounds (or so), getting in better shape and bragging about my status as a long-distance walker. I don't even think there would be too much shame in it. I've come a long way, baby. But I promised to lose 50 pounds in 50 weeks and I'm not going to walk away from that goal. So sure, I've come a long way - but I still have miles to go (12 to be exact) before I get there.


My Measurements:
Waist: 29.5 ... overall decrease of 10.5 inches (WOOHOO!!!)
Hips: 39.75 ... overall decrease of 7.5
Thigh: 21 ... overall decrease of 7.5 - no change, though, from last month
Calves: 15 ... overall decrease of 2.25 inches (slowly, but surely, right?)
Upper Arm: 12.5 ... overall decrease of 3 inches - no change from last month
Push ups: 20 (Though Kevin says they don't count since I didn't go down "far enough" hmph)
Sit ups: 27 (I did full sit-ups rather than crunches this morning)

Last Month's Measurements
Waist: 30.5
Hips: 40
Thigh: 21
Calves: 15.25
Upper Arm: 12.5

Starting Points:
Weight: 195 lbs
Waist: 40 inches
Hips: 47.25 inches
Thigh: 28.5 inches
Upper Arm: 15.5 inches
Calf: 17.25 inches
Push ups: 4
Crunches: 15

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...