Monday, June 7, 2010

H20 yes!

Remember a few months ago, about the time I was first starting this endeavor, I blogged about drinking water? Basically, I said, I didn't like it. Fast forward more than 6 months ... and, while, I wouldn't call myself water's biggest fan, I am drinking it like crazy!

Yesterday alone saw me drinking more than 100 ounces of water! If you said it might have something to do with the number of miles I'm walking, you'd be partially right. Up until yesterday I was only carrying 32 ounces with me on each walk. Yesterday I was able to up it thanks the my new hydrating backpack (only $20!). But even before my walk started yesterday - at 5:30 p.m. I had already had the recommended 8 glasses a day.

Nope, most of the credit goes, I'm sorry to say, to a Wal-mart purchase.

First, I learned a few things about variables that make it easier for my to drink more water. 1. I don't like ice water. If it's too cold, I just won't drink much of it. 2. Straws make me drink more. 3. Carrying water with me at all times reminds me to drink it and keeps me from thinking about snacking. I'm like the Goldilocks of water bottles. I don't want the bottle to be too small so that I have to refill it a dozen times a day and I don't want the mouth to be too big because then it's hard to drink from it.

I found the perfect water bottle while buying dog food at the W-mart - and it was only $4!

It's 32 ounces (drink two bottles full and I've hit the recommended 8 glasses a day!), it's a quiet plastic (as opposed to those clangy metal bottles) and I don't have to turn it upside down to drink (like Nalgene bottles - I always spill!). Plus, it has a straw!!!

I fill it before leaving the house and sip all the way to school. Then, I fill it for my classes and use it as a way to keep myself attentive in class. Some days, I hit my 8 glasses by lunchtime!

As I learned this weekend, with as much walking in the heat as I'm doing this summer, hydration is VERY important (hence the purchase of the hydrating backpack! Read HERE for more on my water drama Saturday). Plus, water has other benefits - glowing skin, fewer UTIs and such.

Sure, I can't sleep past 7 anymore because I always have to wake up to potty, but in all honesty, I like having such a full day to get stuff done. Lord knows I need it!


ALSO:
Fascinating nuggets of information popping up in my health articles today ...

"Ground cinnamon can increase your cells' ability to metabolize sugar by up to 20 times. And according to USDA research, you can see the effect by consuming as little as 1/2 teaspoon each day." From Men's Health ...

"EAT THE BACON: Fat doesn't make you fat. Too many calories does. Fat is good. Just not too much." From the editor of Men's Health via Twitter

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...