Sunday, February 13, 2011

The Daily Special

Oklahoma Joe's ribs and sides
An epiphany has been slow in forming for me this weekend. But piece by piece, it has fallen into place.

First, it started with a Weight Watcher's-inspired Facebook status posted by my new friend Adina: "Don't give up what you want most for what you want in the moment."

Clearly, it's about cravings and instant gratification. Which is worth more? Satisfying a momentary urge or reaching that goal weight you've always dreamed of reaching? This is a battle I know well. And most times I've chosen correctly. But not lately.

In fact, I read this status while en route to Pittsburg, KS planning an exciting lunch of fried chicken and fried chicken. (A famous fried chicken rivalry exists down there between two restaurants a block from each other. After two years of living up here I thought I was finally getting my chance to weigh in - but neither chicken store opened until 4 and that was way too late. Looks like my chicken feed will have to wait.)

My dad and his girlfriend came to visit this weekend. In the two years I've lived up here, this was the first time they have come to see me. I wanted to show them a fun time and that meant lots of eateries. I tried my hardest to be good - but I didn't want to look like a prude and I wanted to enjoy myself too.

The first night they were here found us at Oklahoma Joe's - a big contender in "best KC barbecue" that happens to be two blocks from my house. At Oklahoma Joe's I ate one rib and small servings of the sides we ordered. I balanced it with a salad to fill me up. Breakfast the next morning was at my fave local breakfast chain (First Watch) saw me chomping on oatmeal with cranberries and half an English muffin slathered in mashed banana. So far, so good.

Since breakfast was practically at lunch time, we didn't eat a meal again until dinner at Jazz, a local Cajun restaurant. I shared boiled shrimp with my dad's girlfriend and a cup of gumbo. Oh, and bread pudding loaded with chocolate. Uh oh.

The next day was the great Chicken Food War so we grabbed a quick light breakfast at MacDonalds. I had their oatmeal and can happily report it is tasty!!! (Thanks for the 290-calorie, fiber-filled breakfast option Micky D's!) I was thrown for a loop when the chicken fight didn't happen, but Kevin took us to his favorite deli and I had a Turkey Dip (like a French Dip, but with turkey!), a few potato chips dipped in creamy Italian dressing (something Kevin said you have to do at this place), and a pickle. Then dinner saw us back in KC and at Hereford House, THE steakhouse in town. I ordered a salad and bowl of steak soup.

After so much rich food, I made breakfast for everyone at my house today and went a little overboard with blueberry oatmeal muffins and an awesome breakfast pizza. I went light for lunch and dinner - salad and soup, respectively - but still don't have high hopes for the scale this week. I blame the steak soup, even if I only ate half of it! The salad packed a few surprises too ... as most do at restaurants like that. Oh and there was that java mocha chiller I split with Kevin after an ill-fated Sonic stop before we left Pittsburg (My life was so much easier before I knew those things existed!).

ARGH. Enter my epiphany.

There are times when you should to let yourself indulge in the moment in order to add to the special moments that make up a lifetime. For me, the chicken fight in Pittsburg, KS - a town where Kevin went to college and worked his first professional jobs - is one of those moments. He has a favorite chicken place and I want one too.

That being said, eating ribs at the barbecue place down from my house is NOT one of life's special moments, not any more. I can have Oklahome Joe's barbecue any time I want. I choose not to get it often because it's not high on my list of priorities.

When tourists come to visit, I always take them for KC barbecue (to help fulfill one of their moments). Being there with visitors, however, doesn't mean I automatically get a free pass to eat horribly. There is no gun to my back and no one saying it's the only chance I'll have to eat Joe's ribs. There is a salad with grilled chicken breast on the menu. I've never tried it. Maybe it's going to be the world's great chicken breast and salad. It's high time I find out, don't you think?

Splurging for special occasions is one thing - but it's important to know when you are just finding excuses to splurge and the "special" is nowhere in existence. Daily specials are the enemy.

It's tasty, but so is KFC. Doesn't mean it's ok to order that double down thing and call it a "special occasion" because it's the first 40-degree day we've had in weeks.

When it comes to food and letting yourself indulge, it's important to stop and look at the moment. Going to Oklahoma Joe's (and Hereford House for steak soup too) is not something all that "special" to me anymore. If it truly is a unique experience, then by all means, eat two drumsticks and pick your favorite! But if it's something you can have tomorrow too, maybe it's best to put it off. I guarantee it will be more special next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...