Thursday, February 3, 2011

The Blizzard of Oz

Snow-M-G, people. I have officially survived my first blizzard!

Kevin had to go to work but got off early and all was fine until he got to my 'hood. Then he got stuck and there was a lot of pushing and digging and crying and screaming and losing of cell phone and pushing other people's cars and it was NOT a relaxing snow day at all.

Once it all settled, Wednesday dawned into the digging-out day. Since Tuesday saw us get an official 10 inches of crazy blowing snow - that developed into drifts more than 2-feet high. I shoveled sidewalks (helping neighbors and my weight loss at the same time!) for an hour and a half. Add in the cars I pushed up and down streets and the mile-long snow hike we had to take to get something for Kevin's broken car and you have quite a day of working out!

According to Sparkpeople.com, I burned 850 calories by shoveling 75 minutes and walking in the snow for 45 mins. That doesn't even take into account the car-pushing!

We ended the day by snuggling on the couch with a dvd of How I Met Your Mother and Chinese food. I ordered Kung Pao Shrimp - which is 350 calories for a one-cup serving. Then, I finished dinner with a hearty helping of Banana Snow Cream - made from the very snow outside.

Banana Snow Cream

1/2 banana
1/2 gallon fresh snow
1 cup Almond Milk
1/2 cup baking Splenda

Mash the banana in a big metal mixing bowl. Add in snow and Splenda. Pour Almond milk over snow and mix it all together. It may take a few minutes, but you want to stir it until everything is incorporated and you reach a consistency you like.

If it's melted a bit, just stick the bowl outside for a bit. Then, give it one more stir and enjoy!

You can edit this recipe by using any fruit. Or half a tablespoon of vanilla (I used rum the first time!). Top it with chocolate and it's even yummier. Oh the possibilities ...

Serves 2. Calories: 47.1; Total Fat: 1.7 g; Cholesterol: 0.0 mg; Sodium: 90.3 mg; Total Carbs: 15.1 g; Dietary Fiber: 1.2 g; Protein: 0.8 g

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...